Olesia Rykhliuk on track to become top scorer of all time.
Zurich, Switzerland, May 10, 2015 - Host Volero Zurich's
dreams may have been crushed by Eczacibasi VitrA Istanbul, but there's
still hope they can make it to the podium, when they take on Rexona-AdeS
Rio de Janeiro in the bronze medal of the 2015 FIVB Volleyball Women's
Club World Championship.
This would be Volero's third attempt at claiming a spot on the podium. The Swiss side finished fourth in both 2013 and 2014. Rexona-AdeS, on the other side, will be disappointed at not having the chance to better their previous best of second place, from 2013.
Focus will also be on Volero's Olesia Rykhliuk's attempt to become the best scorer of all time since the introduction of the running score system. Rykhliuk needs nine points to tie and three to break the record of 85 points held by Dinamo Kazan's Ekaterina Gamova since 2014. American Keba Phipps, playing for Brazil's Leite Moca Sorocaba, had 99 points and sideouts in 1994, under the old scoring system.
The game starts at 12:30 local time (10:30 GMT) at the Saalsporthalle.
· Volero Zurich and Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro will meet for the third time at the Club World Championship. Rexona-AdeS, then named Unilever Volei, beat Volero in straight sets in the 2013 semifinals and last Thursday, Rexona-AdeS won 3-1 (30-28, 25-22, 33-35 and 25-22).
· Volero have won only one of their five Club World Championship meetings with Brazilian teams, beating Sesi-Sao Paulo in five sets in 2014.
· Volero also faced Brazilian opposition in the 2014 semifinal, but failed to reach the final, losing 3-1 to Molico Osasco. In the bronze medal match they faced Sesi-Sao Paulo again, losing in five sets.
· Olesia Rykhliuk was the best scorer in the match on Thursday 7 may, with 28 points.
· Volero Zurich have lost back-to-back matches and have now lost four of their last five at the Club World Championship.
· Volero are playing for the third place for the third year in a row. They lost this match in 2013 (3-1 against Guangdong Evergrande) and in 2014 (3-2 against Sesi-Sao Paulo).
· Volero are aiming for their first podium finish in the competition.
· In their 11 matches at the Club World Championship, Volero have taken at least set in 10 of these matches, only losing 3-0 to Rexona-AdeS in the 2013 semifinal.
· Olesia Rykhliuk is the best scorer of the tournament with 76 points. She is ahead of Dinamo Krasnodar's Tatiana Kosheleva (69 points).
Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro
· Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro became the final team to lose a match, when they lost their semifinal on Saturday to Dinamo Krasnodar.
· It was their third defeat after losing twice against Vakifbank TTelekom Istanbul in 2013.
· Rexona-AdeS could join Colgate Sao Caetano as the only Brazilian sides who have failed to reach the podium at the Club World Championship. Colgate Sao Caetano finished in fifth place in 1992. All other 11 participations by Brazilian clubs have at least finished third.