Volero Zurich out for win that would earn them semifinal ticket
Zurich, Switzerland, May 7, 2015 - After their impressive win on Wednesday over Mirador, hosts Volero Zurich are half way to the 2015 FIVB Women's Volleyball Club World Championship, but they still need to beat reigning Brazilian and South American champions Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro on Day 2 of the competition.
A win for Volero on Thursday means the Swiss team will be in the semifinals for the third time in as many appearances at the Club Worlds. On the other hand, a straight-set win by Rexona-AdeS would mean the Brazilians go through and Volero will have to wait for the outcome of the Rexona-AdeS v. Mirador Santo Domingo match on the closing day of pool play.
The match starts at 20:00 local time (18:00 GMT) at the Saalsporthalle.
· Volero Zurich and Rexona-AdeS will meet for the second time at the Club World Championship. Rexona-AdeS, then named Unilever Volei, beat Volero in straight sets in the 2013 semifinals.
· Volero have won only one of their four Club WCh meetings with Brazilian teams, beating Sesi Sao Paulo in five sets in 2014 (Pool A).
· Volero also faced Brazilian opposition in the 2014 semifinal, but failed to reach the final losing 3-1 to Molico Osasco. In the bronze medal match they faced Sesi Sao Paulo again, losing in five sets.Volero Zurich
· Just like in their other two Club World Championship participations, Volero Zurich started with a victory, 3-1 over Mirador Santo Domingo.
· Volero Zurich will try to keep their unbeaten status in pool matches at Club World Championships intact. They played five pool matches, and won them all.
· Volero Zurich will play their 10th Club World Championship match, outright second-most in the tournament’s history. Only Brazil’s Osasco have more (20). On Friday, Mirador Santo Domingo will reach 10.
· Volero Zurich have won 19 sets in the tournament’s history. Another win would make it 22, which would surpass four teams to reach outright second-most ever. Only record participants Osasco have more (41).Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro
· Rexona-AdeS will participate in a Club World Championship for the second time after finishing runners-up in 2013 (then as Unilever Volei Rio de Janeiro).
· They qualified for this year's edition by winning the South American Club Championship. On only one occasion, the winner of this continental competition won the Club World Championship: Molico Osasco (gold, 2012).
· Only once did a Brazilian team fail to reach the podium in the competition: Colgate Sao Caetano fifth in 1992.