Gabi, here attacking against Volero Zurich, is ready to lead her team to yet another victory agaist Mirador Santo Domingo.
Zurich, Switzerland, May 8, 2015 - The 3-1 win of Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro last night over hosts Volero Zurich has thrown Pool A wide open. All will be decided in the last match of pool play, when Rexona-AdeS take on Mirador Santo Domingo.
The reigning Brazilian and South American champions need just two sets to qualify. Mirador, on the other hand, can only be assured of a semifinal berth if they win in straight sets.
If Mirador win in four, all three teams will find themselves in a three-way tie, at 1 win, 3 points and 4-4 sets each. Pocket calculators will be furiously working out the point ratio that will then determine who goes through.
The game begins at 17:30 local time (15:30 GMT) at the Saalsporthalle.Head-to-head
· Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro and Mirador Santo Domingo will meet for the first time in the competition.
· Rexona-AdeS have won their only previous Club World Championship match against teams representing NORCECA. In 2013 they beat Iowa Ice (USA) in straight sets.
· Mirador have lost their only previous meeting in the competition with teams representing South America. In 2011 they were beaten in straight sets by Brazilian team Molico Osasco in the bronze medal match.Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro
· Rexona-AdeS will progress to the semifinals with a win or a 3-2 defeat. In case of a 3-1 defeat points ratio will be the tie breaker in Pool A.
· Rexona-Ades started their campaign with a 3-1 victory over Volero Zurich.
· Against Volero, 58 points were contested in the first set (30-28 Rexona-AdeS) and 68 in the third (35-33 Volero), breaking the record for most points in a set in the history of the Women's Club World Championships.
· The longest set in Club World Championship history until this match contained 58 points, in set 3 of the pool match between Sollys Nestle Osasco (BRA) and Federbrau Bangkok (THA) in 2010 (30-28 Osasco).
· Just like in their only other Club World Championship participation (in 2013 as Unilever Volei), Rexona-AdeS recorded a victory in their first match. Back then, Iowa Ice were beaten in straight sets.
· In their 2013 campaign, they lost their following match 3-1 against Turkish side Vakifbank. Later on, they would lose the final against the same team.Mirador Santo Domingo
· Mirador will progress to the semi-finals with a 3-0 win. In case of a 3-1 victory points ratio will be the tie breaker in Pool A. Any other result will see them be eliminated.
· Mirador lost their opening match 3-1 to Volero Zurich. They need a win to avoid crashing out in the pool phase for the first time in three Club World Championship participations.
· Both in 2010 and 2011, Mirador reached the semifinals after losing one of their pool phase matches.